The successor to the most popular Radeon HD 6990 the AMD Radeon HD 7970 is here to rock the gaming world. It is the most advanced GFX card till date which has been designed from the ground up with a list of new features and capabilities including DirectX 11.1 compatibility which will be present in the upcoming windows 8. Radeon 7970 is based on the Tahiti GPU and is made of 4.31 billion transistors on a 28nm process.
The product shows an improved advantage over the 6990 with 33% more stream processor and 65% net memory bandwidth increase is more than enough to edge past the most popular Geforce GTX 580.
Radeon 7 series graphic cards are based on the core next architecture which was previously code named Southern islands. But Radeon 7970 is the first commercially available product that implements the core next architecture. Now you must be wondering what is Core next architecture? Well it’s a brand new designed graphics architecture that is efficient at handling various graphics instructions.
Its compiler is efficient at mapping and calculating the various modalities that are the core of 3D graphics. As a result compiler units are able to calculate each variables efficiently and the core next architecture makes sure that there is no hogging of the resources and each calculations are assigned to the independent compiler units thus increasing efficiency and which results in increased memory bandwidth.
The Tahiti GPU in Radeon 7970 has a new power management system called ZeroCore Technology comprised of several functions as follows:
- Deep sleep mode.
- DRAM stutter mode to reduce memory power.
AMD claims that with its new efficient ZeroCore Technology the card consumes only as much as 15W in static windows environment and GPU is completely shut down when the monitor is switched off.
AMD Radeon HD 7970 is the first graphics card to be completely compatible with PCI Express 3.0. Tahiti GPU doesn’t only offer improved gaming performance but also a host of other features as follows:
1. DirectX 11.1, OpenCL 1.2 and DirectCompute 11.1 which are said to b present in windows 8 and Radeon 7970 supports it.
2. Partially resident textures reduces stutters and also facilitates hardware managed textures which is made possible by using tahiti’s virtual hardware memory.
3. Eyefinity 2.0, Display support and Desktop Enhancments. AMD announced that Radeon 7970 is the first of its kind graphics card that can support multiple display with simultaneous independent output streams. 7970 also introduces simplified ultra high resolution display support through a single connector using 3GHz fast HDMI.
4. Stereoscopic 3D enhancements which the 7970 delivers in 1080p stereoscopic signals to the TV through the fast connectors. The display must support the Fast HDMI otherwise there wont be much difference then from ordinary implementation.
5. UVD and new Video Codec Engine which allows dual stream of HD content without any stutter or lag.
AMD Radeon HD 7970 is every gamers dream with its graphics memory of 3Gb GDDR5 will make sure to run any and all type of graphic intensive application. Couple it with the upcoming windows 8 and Ivy Bridge processors from intel and you get the ultimate machine on your hands. AMD has claimed that 7970 is the best and fastest single GPU graphics card and this is no small achievement with this monster of a card.
Buy the AMD Radeon HD 7970.
For Further Reading:
- Asus GTX 550 Ti DirectCU – An Ideal GPU For Low Budget Gaming PCs
- Preview YouTube’s Upcoming Design With A Simple Hack
- 4 Features That Would Make The Upcoming Kindle 4 Perfect
- NVIDIA Tegra 3 Is Official: A Quad-core Processor For Tablets And Smartphones
- 3 Tech Gadgets Every Blogger Must Have
- Aakash Tablet PC – Pre-order, Price & Specifications
- Xbox 720 In 2013 And Playstation 4 In 2014
Was this post helpful? Consider subscribing via RSS or